Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Jordan McLean
Piano Music and Song Trio

Just when I thought there were no more interesting new trumpet players, I meet Jordan McLean. I drove down to New York yesterday for the final night of our most recent Go: Organic Orchestra concert series at Roulette. In walks this tall, unusual looking fellow wearing a distinctive fur-lined hat and carrying a Wiseman case.

Our section last night was Graham Haynes, Jordan and I. What a sublime experience, instant chemistry really. Jordan brought along a Benge pocket trumpet and a rotary-valve flugelhorn and some hip mutes (and a hip musical mind). He laid a copy of his new CD, Piano Music and Song Trio, on me. The music is powerful, full of beauty, with an almost meditative quality.

Jordan weaves a musical thread that reveals the aesthetic resonance between the music of Federico Mompou, 12th century troubadours, Siberian folk songs, Charles Ives and Samuel Barber; adding a suite of Jordan’s original compositions; all scored for a lovely chamber ensemble consisting of trumpet, piano, violincello, organ, voice, dobro and jews harp in various combinations.

I won’t even attempt to describe the non-genre-impaired world this young man inhabits so fully and authentically. Go check him out (link to his site through my links list) and buy his CD while you are at it.