Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Butch Morris and Trumpet Nation

BRIC Studios
Brooklyn, NY
September 23, 2008

The Festival of New Trumpet Music is upon us! FONT (Dave Douglas and Taylor Ho Bynum) has always been kind to me, providing early performance opportunities for my string ensemble, SALT; and my quartet, Bugaboo, as well as opening the door of opportunity that led to a recording and release of The Double Trio in concert at the Jazz Standard.

The last time that I joined Butch Morris for this semi-annual trumpet conduction, we squeezed about twenty trumpet/cornet players onto the stage at the Cornelia Street Café. We should have more room this time, and the music continues to grow every year.

Not for nothing, the evening always serves as a bit of a family reunion. I see folks that I rarely connect with but have known for years and get the opportunity to meet new players.

Images of Butch Morris & Trumpet Nation at the Cornelia Street Café by Scott Friedlander

No comments: