Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Tinder Trio


Stephen Haynes and the Tinder Trio
Spectrum
New York, NY

Stephen Haynes/cornet, trumpet, flugelhorn
JD Parran/contrabass clarinet, flutes, mbira, percussion
Adam Rudolph/handrumset (kongos, djembe, tarija, zabumba), sintir, percussion

This past December, guitarist Evans Wohlforth (friends from student days at Bennington College with Bill Dixon) called and asked if I would consider sharing an evening with him in the city.  I so rarely bring my music to New York, for a range of reasons.  This call caught me as I was thinking on gently/briefly breaking this rule, so I said yes.  For some time, I had been speaking with Adam Rudolph and JD Parran about playing together in a trio setting.  Fortunately, the timing was good for everyone.

While the evening proved to be less optimal than it might have been, an imprint has been made.  I look forward to returning to/opening this notion and exploring the connections between myself and these two dear friends.


Images of The Tinder Trio by John Rogers

No comments: